Tuesday, December 15, 2009

THE OLD LADY AND HER THREE DOGS

"Can I have this leftover food?"  our  household help asked me.  "Of course you can!" I told her. Then she said "Yesterday while I was on my way home. I saw this old lady with her three  dogs on the sidewalk.  She has with her plastic bags , pillow and a cardboard for her bed."  According to her, she always sees this old lady but she never knew that this is where she lived ...one the side of the street.  The old lady approached her yesterday and asked her if she can asked for leftover foods.  "You know I pity my dogs so much for I can only provide them with small portions of what I have for the day.  It is not enough for the three of them .  Sometimes if  I do not have something to eat , they will also have none.  I do not want to see them starving."  Our  household help wondered and asked her if they are her pets.  "No! they are street dogs who keep on tagging along wherever I go.  They do not have a place to live.  I feed them and now they don't want to leave.  They are now my extended family." What an amazing deed!  More often we are bothered by our own needs without realizing that others  also have needs. Our prayers centered on what we want that we almost always take for granted the need of a brother, a sister or a neighbor.  Yes, they also have their needs, their trials and tribulations that we also have to pray for them.  The old lady can prioritize to ask for her food and then later think of her extended family of three dogs.  But she set aside her own need and asked food intended for the three dogs instead.  And I salute my household help too...because in her own little way , instead of throwing the leftover foods , she gathered them and exerted effort in bringing them to the old lady. A small act of kindness can really go a long way. The compassion of the old lady made our household help rekindle the softness of her heart and motivate her to also do a GODLY deed !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment